|Bacon Brussel Sprouts|
|Biking along the Mississippi River|
Cathy went on to tell me that her family all loved brussel sprouts and in fact all of the kids in her family would fight over them. I was really excited to try them because anything I can do to introduce a new recipe that will increase my family's desire to eat something that I love is a good thing, and this recipe did not fail to deliver. It is with pleasure that I present this recipe for B & B Sprouts, inspired by my friend's family recipe.
B & B Sprouts
5 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch slices
28 brussel sprouts cut in half with bottom stem trimmed off and outside leaves discarded
3/4 teaspoon finely ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
2 tablespoons of butter
- In a skillet on medium heat cook the chopped bacon for 5 minutes until the fat has rendered down and the bacon has browned slightly;
- Add the brussel sprouts and stir to coat in the rendered bacon fat
- Sprinkle the pepper and salt on the mixture and stir slightly to coat evenly
- Let the brussel sprouts cook for 4 minutes on medium heat until they begin to caramelize, or get a little brown
- Stir well and add butter
- Cook for 4 more minutes and stir again - depending on the size of your sprouts, they should be done.
When the sprouts are slightly soft they are done, you may need to cook them a few minutes longer, but remove from the heat once a fork can pass through the entire sprout.
Serves 4 people
15 minutes from preparation to table
Enjoy - from my table to yours...